Tuesday 29 September 2015

Interview with DJ Q





Second Life Name: Qawi Aji 
Second Life Rezz Date: 15th June 2006

DJ Name: Q the Physicist
DnB Genre: Liquid
Real Life Location: Budapest 
Soundcloud & Mixcloud: q_the_physicist 





Rosie Helendale: tell me what brings you into second life?
Qawi Aji: It was dnb that brought me into second life the first time, back in 2005, and dnb brought me back. actually, the first time then i was looking to find a place to dance, a dnb club in second life
Let me tell you the story right quick...
 I was at a party in Budapest, pretty high, and the DJ changed. it was the morning already, btw and when the DJ changed the music changed from good to bad.
Rosie Helendale: ahh not good
Qawi Aji: I saw right there that I would get a computer program to be able to make my own mixes. So after that party, as soon as I got home, I downloaded virtual DJ.
It was at the same time after I had finished playing star wars galaxies where my character was a musician and dancer, that I was looking for a place to continue that. In swg, I used to socialize with bar patrons in the game, turn down the music, and watch my character dance while i listened to drum and bass.
Rosie Helendale: so how did you get from there to second life?
Qawi Aji: so, right after I got vdj, I also simultaneously came into second life. After a couple of days, I found a club that sometimes played dnb, so I went there to dance and by coincidence there was somebody in the club asking about how to be a DJ. The club gave lessons, so I jumped into their conversation and said I wanted a course, too. and they taught me how to stream and gave me a job. That place was called voodoo lounge. So for three years, I played dnb in the voodoo club and essentially learned how to be a DJ.. I had my first rl show at an exhibition here in Budapest because my painter friend thought it was stupid that I was playing as a DJ in a game, lol
So sl gave me my start and now I  have a residency in a bar about 170 meters from my house in Budapest every month :)
Rosie Helendale: OH nice one.  A game? how dare they say its a game lol
Qawi Aji: hahaha
Rosie Helendale: What genres of DnB do you like to play?
Qawi Aji: I only play liquid. At first I played every dnb style, I had three shows, one with neuro, tech step, one liquid, and one raggamuffin jungle. I found that I can't keep up with that much new music so I stuck with liquid
You know, as a DJ, you have to go through so much crappy music to hear the gems. That takes time.
Rosie Helendale: ahh yes I can imagine the quest for good tunes is a time consuming and never ending one,,,, whats the most enjoyable part of DJing for you?
Qawi Aji: Hearing the tunes. I just love dnb, so I am happy to hear the tunes over and over again. A close second is hearing a good mashup in my mix, when it makes a new tune for about 20-30 seconds
A close third is knowing that people like what I am playing, when someone says "choon!" I love that too, but I can still play to an empty crowd as you know so those other two are first
Rosie Helendale: How do you go about making a set?
Qawi Aji: I used to plan all my sets, but now I just look through the list and select a new tune based on how it "feels" while the other tune is playing. I use a key selection system so when I choose a new tune, it should blend well with other tunes
What nomally happens is that while one tune is playing another can often just pop into my mind. then I play that.
Rosie Helendale: all about being in the moment
Qawi Aji: yes, now it is. I still like to prepare a mix, though, because then I can be in the moment during preparation for a much longer time and hear a lot more mashups
Rosie Helendale: ahh I see,, it works well,, I always enjoy your sets.
Qawi Aji: also, when i started connecting with people on soundcloud and they started to send me tunes, my stable of DJs got smaller and I realized I play the same few producers alot.
Rosie Helendale: I think all Djs tend to do that
Qawi Aji: yeah, I think so too, but in the past , they were basically forced into playing the same songs because they were limited by what  they could carry. Now we are limited by what we can see in the playlist. I think i have about 4000 tunes, mp3, and my list is long so sometimes I play a new song just because I was looking and scrolling the list too long and its time to put a new track on.
Now its all about folder management
Rosie Helendale: Do you DJ in any other clubs in second life?
Qawi Aji: When I first came back a couple of months ago, I played in a few different places, looking around till I found you. so no, just here.  Someone, I forget who, recommended your place. I'm glad they did
Rosie Helendale: ahh thank you for the compliment :) and very happy  you came!
Qawi Aji: The fact that you switched to  dnbheaven is great
Rosie Helendale: hehehe, its my favourite station, and lots of others like it too,, How did you get to be a DJ on DnB Heaven?Qawi Aji: I was actively searching for an online radio to DJ at and they were looking for DJs
Rosie Helendale: So you applied and then what happened?
Qawi Aji: They listen to the mix and decide on that
Rosie Helendale: Nice one,, Whats been your biggest influence?
Qawi Aji: Random movement for sure
Rosie Helendale: And finally, What's your favourite tune at the moment?
Qawi Aji: Random movement - soul on fire
Rosie Helendale: thank you so much for chatting with me today,,,I've enjoyed listening to your story

No comments:

Post a Comment